What: Calling all tomato fans and gardeners! The annual Tomato Market at Bon Air features a curated selection of 2,500 tomato starts from the UC Cooperative Extension Master Gardener program. Nine heirloom and eight hybrid tomato varieties have been selected for their exceptional taste, superior growth habits, disease resistance and performance in Marin’s microclimates. Grown from seed by Marin Master Gardeners at San Rafael’s Falkirk greenhouse, the ready-to-plant tomato starts are $4 each. Tomato experts and Marin Master Gardeners will be on-hand to answer questions and offer Marin-specific watering and growing tips. The tomato starts go quickly, so early arrival is recommended.
- New Offerings: Juliet Grape Tomato and Toma Verde Tomatillo
- A Rainbow of Cherries: Blush Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Rapunzel, Sun Gold and Super Sweet 100.
- Coastal/Cool Weather Varieties: Black & Brown Boar, Blush Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Carmello, Early Girl, Japanese Black Trifele, Jaune Flamme, Jetsetter, Juliet, Oaxacan Jewel, Sun Gold and Super Sweet 100.
- Container Varieties: Blush Cherry, Carmello ,Cherokee Purple, Jetsetter, Chocolate Cherry, Early Girl, Jaune Flamme, Juliet, Russian Big Roma, Sun Gold and Super Sweet 100.
- Beefsteak Tomatoes: Black Beauty, Brandywine, Chef’s Choice Orange, Early Girl, Cherokee Purple, Green Giant, and Oaxacan Jewel.
When: Saturday, April 18, 9 a.m. until sold out.
Where: Along the western end of the promenade near Wells Fargo Bank.