What: Calling all tomato fans and gardeners! The annual Tomato Market at Bon Air features a curated selection of nearly 3,000 tomato starts from the UC Cooperative Extension Master Gardener program. Eight heirloom and eight hybrid tomato varieties have been selected for their exceptional taste, superior growth habits, disease resistance and performance in Marin’s microclimates. Grown from seed by Marin Master Gardeners at San Rafael’s Falkirk greenhouse, the ready-to-plant tomato starts are $4 each. Tomato experts and Marin Master Gardeners will be on-hand to answer questions and offer Marin-specific watering, fertilizing, container vs. plot, growing tips and more. The tomato starts go quickly, so early arrival is recommended.
- New Offerings: Green Zebra and Black & Brown Boar.
- A Rainbow of Cherries: Barry’s Crazy Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Rapunzel, Sun Gold and Sweet 100.
- Coastal/Cool Weather Varieties: Black & Brown Boar, Carmello, Early Girl, Green Zebra, Jaune Flamme, Oaxacan Jewel, Paul Robeson, Sun Gold and Sweet 100.
- Container Varieties: Carmello, Cherokee Purple, Chocolate Cherry, Early Girl, Jaune Flamme, San Marzano Redorta, Sun Gold and Sweet 100.
- Beefsteak Tomatoes: Brandywine, Carmello, Chef’s Choice Orange, Early Girl, Cherokee Purple, Oaxacan Jewel and Paul Robeson.
When: Saturday, April 7, 9 a.m. until sold out.
Where: Along the western end of the promenade near Wells Fargo Bank.