What: Heralding spring with the promise of a sweet summer crop, Marin’s annual Tomato Market at Bon Air is back! Tomato fans and gardeners will choose from a curated selection of nearly 3,000 tomato starts from the UC Cooperative Extension Master Gardener program. Six heirloom and ten hybrid tomato varieties have been selected for their exceptional taste, superior growth habits, disease resistance and performance in Marin’s microclimates. The Tomato Market is later in the season, allowing growers to plant their tomatoes immediately, yielding strong, healthy, productive plants. Grown from seed by Marin Master Gardeners at San Rafael’s Falkirk greenhouse, the ready-to-plant tomato starts are $4 each. Tomato experts and Marin Master Gardeners will be on-hand to answer questions and offer Marin-specific watering and growing tips. The tomato starts go quickly, so early arrival is recommended.
- New Offerings: Japanese Trifele, Jetsetter, Russian Big Roma
- A Rainbow of Cherries: Chocolate Cherry, Rapunzel, Sun Gold and Sweet 100
- Coastal/Cool Weather Varieties: Black & Brown Boar, Blush Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Carmello, Early Girl, Japanese Black Trifele, Jaune Flamme, Jetsetter, Oaxacan Jewel, Paul Robeson, Sun Gold and Sweet 100
- Container Varieties: Carmello, Blush Cherry, Cherokee Purple, Jetsetter, Chocolate Cherry, Early Girl, Jaune Flamme, Sun Gold and Sweet 100
- Beefsteak Tomatoes: Black Beauty, Brandywine, Carmello, Chef’s Choice Orange, Early Girl, Cherokee Purple, Green Giant, Oaxacan Jewel and Paul Robeson
When: Saturday, April 23rd, 9 a.m. until sold out.
Where: Along the western end of the promenade near Wells Fargo Bank.