What: Calling all tomato fans and gardeners! The annual Tomato Market at Bon Air features a curated selection of 2,500 tomato starts from the UC Cooperative Extension Master Gardener program. Nine heirloom and eight hybrid tomato varieties have been selected for their exceptional taste, superior growth habits, disease resistance and performance in Marin’s microclimates. Grown from seed by Marin Master Gardeners at San Rafael’s Falkirk greenhouse, the ready-to-plant tomato starts are $4 each. Tomato experts and Marin Master Gardeners will be on-hand to answer questions and offer Marin-specific watering and growing tips. The tomato starts go quickly, so early arrival is recommended.
- New Offerings: Blush Cherry, Black Beauty, Green Giant, Pineapple, Japanese Trifele, Jetsetter, Russian Big Roma
- A Rainbow of Cherries: Blush Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Rapunzel, Sun Gold and Sweet 100.
- Coastal/Cool Weather Varieties: Black & Brown Boar, Blush Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Carmello, Early Girl, Japanese Black Trifele, Jaune Flamme, Jetsetter, Oaxacan Jewel, Paul Robeson, Sun Gold and Sweet 100.
- Container Varieties: Carmello, Blush Cherry, Cherokee Purple, Jetsetter, Chocolate Cherry, Early Girl, Jaune Flamme, Sun Gold and Sweet 100.
- Beefsteak Tomatoes: Black Beauty, Brandywine, Carmello, Chef’s Choice Orange, Early Girl, Cherokee Purple, Green Giant, Oaxacan Jewel and Paul Robeson.
When: Saturday, April 27, 9 a.m. until sold out.
Where: Along the western end of the promenade near Wells Fargo Bank.