Easter Bunny hops by annual Tomato Market, April 8
What: Green thumbs and wanna-be gardeners get a jump on planting summer veggie gardens at the annual Tomato Market at Bon Air with a curated selection of tomato starts from the UC Cooperative Extension Master Gardener program. Nine heirloom and 11 hybrid tomato varieties have been selected for their exceptional taste, superior growth habits, disease resistance and performance in Marin’s microclimates. Grown from seed by Marin Master Gardeners at San Rafael’s Falkirk greenhouse, the ready-to-plant tomato starts are $4 each. Tomato experts will be on-hand to answer questions and offer Marin-specific watering, fertilizing and growing tips. The tomato starts go quickly, so early arrival is recommended.
Easter Bunny: The Easter Bunny hops by the Tomato Market at Bon Air handing out goodies and posing for candid pictures from 11a.m. – 1 p.m.
- A Wonderful World of Color:Try new varieties of red, orange, yellow, green, and black tomatoes.
- New Offerings: Barry’s Crazy Cherry, Black Prince, Dr. Wyche’s Yellow, Green Giant and Porkchop.
- A Rainbow of Cherries: Barry’s Crazy Cherry, Chocolate Cherry, Rapunzel, Sun Gold and Sweet 100.
- Coastal Cool Weather Varieties: Black Prince, Carmello, Chianti Rose, Japanese Black Trifele, Jaune Flamme, Oaxacan Jewel, Paul Robeson, Sun Gold and Sweet 100.
- Container Varieties: Carmello, Cherokee Purple, Early Girl, Japanese Black Trifele, Jaune Flamme, Sun Gold and Sweet 100.
- Beefsteak Tomatoes: Brandywine, Chef’s Choice Orange, Cherokee Purple, Chianti Rose, Dr. Wyche’s Yellow, Green Giant, Oaxacan Jewel, Paul Robeson and Porkchop.
When: Saturday, April 8; 9 a.m. – noon or when the tomato starts are sold out.
Where: Along the walkway immediately in front of Mollie Stone’s Market. Bon Air is located 15 minutes north of downtown San Francisco, just off Highway 101 on Sir Francis Drake Blvd., in Greenbrae, California 94904. For more information and hours of operation, please visit www.bonair.com or call (415) 461-0200.